Mount Allen Junior College (1952-1953) and Mount Olive Junior College (1954-1984)
Mount Allen Junior College
Mount Olive Junior College
Mount Allen Junior College was established by the North Carolina Convention of Free Will Baptists in September, 1951, to provide a program of Christian higher education. The College received its charter for a junior college in November of 1951. The first year of operation in 1952-53 was at Cragmont Assembly, the Free Will Baptist summer retreat grounds near Black Mountain, NC, under the leadership of the Reverend Lloyd Vernon. The school was called Mount Allen Junior College, taking its name from the mountain near Cragmont.
Orientation, Sept. 6, 1961 Original Mount Olive Campus
Panelists for Free Will Baptist Student Fellowship first Fall 1967 meeting:
(L-R) Isaac Hines, Pamela Wood, Becky Jo Sumner, Dianne Brown, and Miss Hilda F. Owens
Faculty and Board of Trustees
Faculty, ca. 1956
Dr. W. Burkette Raper,
Reference Room of Original Library
Henderson Building, ca. 1966
Grantham Hall, Men's Dorm
Rodgers Chapel - 1974
College Seals and School Song
Mount Olive Alma Mater
Hail, Mount Olive, Alma Mater,
endless years shall crown they head;
praise we then our great Creator,
who through all the years shall lead.
May thy torch of truth grow brighter
still supplied with light divine;
strong, and clear, and ever burning;
on the path of wisdom shine.
Alma Mater, Our dear mother,
honored ever, honored now;
courage, faith and love devoted,
be the laurels on thy brow.
O, Mount Olive, how we love thee,
Dowered with thy fost’ring care;
kindest heaven smile upon thee,
God exalt and keep thee fair.
Daniel W. Fagg, Jr.
|November 27, 1951||Charter issued by the State of North Carolina.|
|September 22, 1952||Mount Allen Junior College opened at Cragmont Assembly (Lloyd Vernon, President).|
|September 17, 1953||Convention of Original Free Will Baptists authorized purchase of Mount Olive Elementary School building & relocation of College.|
|August 2, 1954||W. Burkette Raper became President.|
|September 9, 1954||
First collegiate year. College opened in Mount
Olive with twenty-two students.
|September 14, 1955||Convention of Original Free Will Baptists authorized that the name be changed to Mount Olive Junior College.|
|November 6, 1958||State accreditation attained.|
|December 1, 1960||Accreditation granted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.|
|September 27, 1965||Henderson Building and Women’s Dormitory Complex occupied.|
|August, 1968||Moye Library completed.|
|September, 1970||Grantham Hall completed.|
|September 14, 1970||The name was officially changed to Mount Olive College.|
|December, 1972||Eagles Nest Conference Center donated by the W. P. Kemp Family.|
|August 3, 1974||Rodgers Chapel dedicated.|
|September 12, 1979||Convention of Original Free Will Baptists endorsed a projected timeline of the College Board of Trustees to add junior year in 1984 and senior year in 1985.|
|January 7, 1984||Grand Opening of College Hall.|
|August 28, 1984||First Junior Class enrolled.|
|October, 1985||First College apartments completed.|
|May 10, 1986||First Baccalaureate degrees awarded.|
|December 9, 1986||Senior college accreditation granted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.|
Some photos used by permission of the Mount Olive Area Historical Society.